Lock City was popular throughout the late 19th and early 20th century because of the Yale & Towne Manufacturing Company.
Founded in 1869, Yale and Towne was an innovative producer of locks. By 1892, Yale and Towne employed approximately one-fourth of Stamford’s population. In its heyday, Yale and Towne took up the entire area between Pacific, Henry, Canal, and Market Streets in South End.
The company left Stamford in the 1950s and the Lock City nickname began to fade from usage. Today, the area is under redevelopment, home to the original Yale and Towne buildings that have been.